11.01.2010

and thus I make it my ambition to preach the Gospel...

I get so angry with apathy, with ignorance that people don't even try to cure, with self-absorption.
Each week, I see it grow in our group, and it makes me want to cry. What has happened? How can you take what you read in the Word and in these books that challenge you, and then not actually apply it? We discuss them, we "ooh" and "that's so true" and "that really challenged me," but when are we changing the way we live our life because of it?
Get out and do something. Don't be so selfish with what the Lord has given.
We are blessed to be a blessing.
We are blessed to be a blessing.
We are blessed to be a blessing.
We are blessed to be a blessing.
Here in America, we just stop after "we are blessed."
You have a car? Give international students rides to Walmart. You have clean water? Drink it for 10 days instead of buying other drinks, then take the money that you would have spent and donate it to build wells (http://10days.cc). You have a free Saturday? Host a carwash/book drive/garage sale/etc for Invisible Children. You want to see the world reached for His glory? Pray for the nations. Go to the nations. Get out of your comfort zone. Go.

I'm sorry, I just don't want to explode on someone.... so I wrote this out. It's a mess, as I'm not focusing well. Don't expect any fluidity, any poetry or eloquent phrases. I'm just so frustrated with the state that American Christians are in. There are people who are dying without any sort of access to the Gospel, and what are we doing to change that? We are hosting game nights with our local church group and discussing theology with each other...
Good plan. Because when Jesus commands us to go and make disciples of all nations, He really means to take what we know, grow it in our own lives, and then refuse to share it to those who are spiritually hungry. Because when we are told to serve the poor, the widows, the orphans, He really means to just serve the people in our church, because they are the ones who pour back into our lives... and really it's all about us. Please don't get me wrong here. It is GOOD to discuss theology. It is GOOD to grow one another within the church, and to have fellowship with believers. That's Biblical. But there is so much more. How are we applying it?
And I know that not all American Believers are like this, so don't be offended if you're one who stands up for justice, and takes Truth to the nations.
I also know that it can be a difficult balance- social justice and the Gospel. Trust me, I'm guilty of putting justice before the Gospel on multiple occasions, and have been convicted hardcore of that. But we can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. We can't just assume that things are fine for everyone. That just because we are living in America means that we are loved more by the Lord, and thus we can choose to turn our backs on our brothers and sisters across the world who are living in oppression. Take Love with Truth. Take it to the Nations.
 
It's Biblical. I promise.

No comments: